Applicants are required to submit the following in the prescribed forms:
- Completed and signed application with a portrait photograph (Form A)
- Degree certificate: issued by the university or college authority. (Applicants who are applicable to (1)(3)(4)(5) of Item 1 above) Degree certificate issued by the Japan's National Institution for Academic Degrees. (Applicants who are applicable to (2) of Item 1 above) Applicants who are applicable to (6)(7)(8)(9)(10) of Item 1 above must inform the Office of Administration of the APPP before applying.
- Official transcripts: issued by the university or college authority.
- Essay written in English (Form B) (Original plus 2 photocopies): in about 2,000 words. This document should also explain their past academic or other work achievements, a major topic proposed for research or study at the program, the proposed methodological approach to the topic, and the planned or contemplated career developments after the program.
- Two letters of reference (Form C): one from the president, dean or academic supervisor of the university or college attended, and another from the head of the department or the equivalent of the ministry/agency where the applicant currently works.
- Official TOEFL score report [University Code No. 8682] All applicants are required to have a good command of English. TOEFL score of 550 (213 for computer-based test, 79-80 for ibT) or higher is required in principle. Applicants are strongly advised to take TOEFL at least one month before submitting the application. (When TOEFL is not available, an official score report of TOEIC or IELTS is accepted.)
- A letter of endorsement from an institution which an applicant belongs to (Form D) Should the applicant apply through a scholarship sponsor, the format of endorsement could be the one from the scholarship application.
- Non-refundable application fee of Yen 30,000 (see Form E) (for exemption, see below)
- A photocopy of the page(s) of the applicant's passport, to indicate his/her name, photo, passport number, date of birth, etc.
- A self-addressed envelope of a standard postal size (23.5cm x 12cm) for the admission decision (25grams) should be included, together with registered mail stamps (Yen 404). Those applying from overseas do not have to include the envelope or stamps. Such expenses may be collected upon enrollment.
Applications should be sent to the following address by registered mail.
Asian Public Policy Program
School of International and Public Policy
2-1, Naka, Kunitachi,
Unless otherwise indicated, an application for the program must be submitted in its original form, during the period from September to early May, together with the non-refundable application fee of Yen 30,000, for the program beginning in September of the year (for the precise timetable for application and admission, applicants are requested to check with the program). All documents, except TOEFL scores which should be sent directly from the TOEFL, must be submitted in one envelope to the Office of Administration.
Candidates applying from overseas - in particular, those who seek for scholarship opportunities - are strongly advised to contact the Program Coordinator of the Asian Public Policy Program well before the application period regarding application.
Downloadbale files of the application package for the 2021/22 academic year are provided below.
You may be asked to download Japanese fonts to view the pdf file; please do so accordingly.
Note that the filled-in application documents must be sent by post mail (together with email or other digital means) together with the other required documents as explained above.
Admission decisions will be made on the basis of the above-mentioned applications. Interviews with individual applicants will be arranged in the applicants' countries (with the cooperation of the scholarship sponsor if they are also applying for JISPA or JDS scholarship). During interviews, a math test and a short English essay will be given.
Admission decisions will be made by June, for enrollment in mid-September. All applicants will be notified as soon as the results of the decisions become available.
The School's offices are open for enrollment registrations in early July. At the time of enrollment, the matriculation fee payment in the amount of Yen 282,000 (as at September 2020) must be made. The payment of university tuition fee in the amount of Yen 267,900 (as at September 2020), representing one half of the annual tuition of Yen 535,800 and covering the September-March term, must be made by the end of October.